Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Holiday Musings From A Grateful 'RocNRev'







pilotplane pilot cabin

 
As I leave California headed toward Prescott, Arizona I feel in the moment-above billowing clouds, parting now and then to reveal the landscape below. Urban developments criss-crossed with greenbelts that bisect rectangles of development and roadways. As we  head towards mountains that look like drapey folds of fabric, the clouds begin to merge together. Soon all I can see are piles and piles of white, cottony fluff.  The clouds are outlined by grey shadows-they are brilliantly highlighted by a golden cast of sunlight.
I gaze around the cabin of this "puddle jumper." The hum of the engine grows increasingly louder, then softer as my ears play a popping game. The cockpits saloon-like doors are closed now. After takeoff they had remained open. The young pilot and copilot had been wearing Santa hats and festive plaid ties! I had seen them shifting and turning a multitude of dials and levers, taking the little plane into the air.
The copilot had amiably greeted us walking down the narrow aisle with a big bag of Werthen's candy, offering it to all of the passengers. He reminded us of  flying regulations as he went down the aisle. A "cozy" flying experience-like none I've never had before. And as we jet our way toward family this holiday season I am suddenly filled with gratitude. I am with my treasured partner, Karen. I am headed into the arms of my loving family.  I am so lucky to have the ability and means to make this trip and to have so much love in my life. I am happy to have this moment of quiet appreciation and recognition of what I cherish and hold dear. I am in the moment. Happy, healthy holiday everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment