Saturday, February 2, 2013

Reflections on Marriage, Memorials and Memories

Image Stones placed in the sand in the shape of a heart by memorial guests at Montaña de Oro, California 'RocNRev' Michael Taylor Presiding

I began 2013 presiding over a memorial service. Some might think this a depressing way to begin a new year. As I thought about it I realized for me it was not necessarily so.

A marriage begins with vows the couple takes; as a wedding officiant I get to be part of this beginning. I start couples on what I hope to be a wonderful path of commitment, growth and love, taking on different shapes along the way.  It is my hope that their wedding day is the first step toward a long, fulfilling, adventure filled marriage that can meet challenges, experience joy and is ever evolving, growing and renewing. To me this can be the definition of a successful marriage.

When a marriage ends because one partner passes away it is devastating for the one left behind.  The sadness and grief  the widow or widower has is of course beyond comprehension. However the reflection on their experiences as a couple, the hurdles they have mastered, the families they may have nurtured, are all successes that will never die. Together they have created a history and a life that will always be remembered, cherished and carried in the hearts of the survivors. And through the sadness and grief there can be some solace there.

As I preside over a memorial I am cognizant  of all these things and must remember the cycle of life. I recognize that with the joy eventually comes the sadness. I think this idea is extremely well stated in this quote by David Weatherford:
"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness."

In this case we experience sadness because we have known joy. I reflect on how very lucky we are to have done so. For this reason I begin 2013 with a reaffirmation of life, marriage and commitment.

Image The Empty Chair-Montaña de Oro, California • 'RocNRev' Michael Taylor Presiding

No comments:

Post a Comment