Saturday, January 26, 2013

Sweet Morsels Make a Great Wedding Favor!

tulle candyThough I originally saw this recipe as a pre-Christmas post I am just now getting to look at it! I realize that this confection is SO special and sounds SO good it ought to be enjoyed year round. In fact, why not break into bite-size pieces and bundle into little tulle packages tied with satin ribbon as wedding favors! Trust me, your guests will thank you.


Reprinted from [cuturelativity]a new human interest journal for the new age (http://www.culturelativity.com) Christmas Crack – The Healthier Kind

Edwina Phillips Posted on December 2, 2012

The simplicity of this holiday treat belies its decadent appeal. To say that it leaves you wanting more is one great big understatement, as you’ll find yourself rearranging your schedule, guarding your kitchen and skipping real nutrition in order to make room for more of this forbidden fruit. For every healthy recipe I cook in my home, I’ve got two recipes, just full of dark magic. And by “dark,” I usually mean “dark chocolate,” which carries its own brand of magic … but I digress. My gift to you, dear reader, is one that would otherwise surely be inducted into the Seven Deadly Sins Hall of Fame, were it not for this healthier version that I’m hoping will redeem me of the sin of sharing—or not sharing, as the case may be—this recipe with the world and thusly spending the rest of my days acquiring a permanent tan in Hell’s kitchen.
Unlike similar versions of this recipe, we will be using fewer ingredients while keeping its devilishly delicious flavor. Make this. Love this. Thank me. Hate me. But don’t say I didn’t warn you.

You’ll need: 1 box Keebler crackers (not saltines). 1/2 cup organic brown sugar (normal sugar will do, but I’m trying to help you here). 2 sticks (1 cup) butter (no margarine. Kids, trust me on this one). 1 package semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips. Optional (less healthy options): Colored sprinkles.
3/4 cup chopped pecans. 1 cup crushed candy canes.
Shredded coconut.
Bacon. Preheat the oven to 400ยบ. ◦ Line a 10″ x 15″ cookie sheet or a jellyroll pan with foil and lightly grease with butter or lightly coat with a non-stick cooking spray.

◦ Cover the cookie sheet with a single layer of Keebler crackers. You’ll have enough for almost three batches.

stepone ◦ Bring the brown sugar and butter to a boil for 4 minutes, stirring with a whisk.

◦ Pour the mixture over the crackers and spread evenly. Be careful, it’s hot!steptwo

◦ Bake the crackers for five minutes. When removing, be extra careful! The mixture will be molten hot like sugary napalm. I know.

◦ If your crackers have moved while in the oven, take a fork and gently push them back into place.

◦ Allow tray to cool for at least three minutes.

◦ Once melted, spread evenly over crackers.

Now would be the time to add sprinkles, nuts, coconut, bacon, etc. Go crazy.

stepthree

◦ Allow the tray to slightly cool, and then transfer to the refrigerator to harden.stepfourstepfive

◦ Once hardened, peel off foil, break into small pieces and place into airtight containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment